Current Size: 100%
AmeriCorps LEAP Initiative
Barbara Gunderson, AmeriCorps LEAP Initiative Director
20 AmeriCorps members in the AmeriCorps LEAP (Learning Early Achieves Potential) Initiative build social/emotional school readiness skills of preschool children and support parents in learning dialogic reading techniques to build bonds within home routines for school readiness skills. Both parents and citizen volunteers are educated on the connection of brain development to healthy social/emotional skill sets and the Search Institutes 40 early childhood development assets that insure a strong early childhood foundation for learning, achieving and succeeding in school and in life. Members also engage community youth in service learning early childhood development and education. They serve their communities by acting as positive role models and support for families with children, 0-5.
Essential qualifications to participate in AmeriCorps LEAP Initiative:
- Two years post high school (work or education) / college degree preferred
- Passion for children and interest in serving community
- Want to make a difference for families with young children, and are dedicated to serving community and working as part of a team.
- Spanish fluency, Arabic, or Somali or other second language a plus
Top reasons that members like serving in AmeriCorps LEAP Initiative:
- Experience in community serving children
- Energy and education around this issue area
- Experience in service and community connections
- Personal strength-based leadership development for career focus/development