Lead for Minnesota
Lead For Minnesota Fellows are the next generation of Minnesota’s locally-rooted, systems-oriented changemakers. LFMN Fellows return to their hometown, region, or state to strengthen our public institutions, revitalize our local communities, and cultivate the next bench of transformational civic leaders. They bring added capacity to resource-strapped communities – particularly rural, tribal, and economically distressed urban neighborhoods – often working at the intersection of key “magic wand” interventions that, with added capacity and talent, would transform the community.
Fellows receive training that grounds the fellowship in the foundation of relationships through community renewal & innovation, all centered around Convergent Leadership. The Catalyst Institute partners with higher-ed institutions Harvard Kennedy School, Tisch College of Civic Life at Tufts, the University of Minnesota Morris, Crookston, and Twin Cities – the Humphrey School and College of Design, and White Earth Tribal College. They receive technical & mentorship support from faculty and community organizations like Rethos: Places Reimagined, the Department of Public Transformation and Voices for Rural Resilience.
Essential qualifications for serving in the program:
- Be a US Citizen, Permanent Resident, or DACA Recipient
- Have earned an undergraduate degree
- Ability to work well independently and with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to build and maintain relationships, lead and motivate others
- Ability to take initiative, communicate effectively, manage time, organize information and display a positive and professional demeanor
- Strong desire to work in rural or tribal settings in Minnesota
Top reasons that members like serving in this program:
- Heavy focus on training & education in community development
- Network of Fellows working towards the same goal
- Engage your community through proven methods
- Fellowship support throughout the 2 years of service
- Focus on local government and economic development