Minnesota Recovery Corps
Minnesota Recovery Corps is a program designed specifically for people with direct or indirect experience with recovery to serve other individuals who are trying to sustain their own recovery. Recovery Corps members will work with teens and adults in recovery who are either living at home or in sober-living facilities and/or are receiving services at recovery-focused nonprofits to get all facets of their lives on track. Recovery Corps members are not sponsors or counselors, but mentors who understand the journey of recovery and will focus on helping individuals reach their goals that can help build and sustain the great experiences that a life in recovery can bring.
Essential qualifications to participate in Minnesota Recovery Corps:
- Must be 18 years of age, a US citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien, and a high school graduate (or GED recipient).
- Willingness to commit to a full year of service (1700 hours for full-time members). Hours must be completed within 11 months of start date.
- Direct or indirect experience with substance use disorders and strong connection to and understanding of the recovery process.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships with clients in both 1-1 and group settings.
- Experience in facilitating groups preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with intermediate computer skills (word processing, internet, data entry, e-mail, comfort with database and software use, etc.).
- Desire to affect systems change regarding the opioid epidemic and substance use disorders at the ground level; ability to connect the small details to the bigger picture.
- Ability to work effectively with people of different cultures and backgrounds.
- Access to regular, reliable transportation.
Top reasons that members like serving in this program:
- Wanting to make a difference in the lives of others in recovery
- Wanting to be a part of a new, exciting initiative
- The training and closely connected cohort will enable them to learn new skills to take their next steps in their own career