Since 2021, Minnesota welcomed more than 1,200 Afghan families and is currently welcoming families from Ukraine and other countries around the world. As part of Resettlement Corps, AmeriCorps members support families who are new to the U.S. as they join their new communities and work to achieve housing, employment, and education goals.
Families building new lives in Minnesota need support in a variety of ways. Members serving in Minnesota Resettlement Corps can choose to serve in one of the following roles:
- Family Coach: support individuals and families with their educational and long-term goals
- Legal Services Navigator: support families as they navigate legal resources and processes
- Resettlement Housing Navigator: provide guidance to recently resettled families as they work to secure stable housing.
Required Qualifications to participate in Minnesota Resettlement Corps:
- Must be 18 years of age or older by two weeks prior to your start date.
- Must have at least a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent by your start date.
- Must be either a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Must pass mandatory National Service Criminal History Checks.
- Must not have served four or more prior terms of service with AmeriCorps State or National.
- Speak, read, and write English fluently.
- Experience with professional computer skills and confidence using computers. Comfort and experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel), completing internet searches and navigating resources online, completing data entry, using e-mail regularly including sending attachments, using databases and software, using videoconferencing software, and attending training online.
- Positions that require driving will require a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a driving record check. Some positions require access to a personal vehicle for transportation.
- Strong interest in working with immigrant and refugee communities and affecting systems change at an interpersonal level.
Preferred Qualifications to participate in Minnesota Resettlement Corps:
- Lived experience as an immigrant, refugee, and/or asylee to the United States is not required but is a plus
- Proficiency in a language(s) other than English is not required but is a plus