Total Learning Classroom
The Total Learning Classroom (TLC) Program leverages the research-based strategies of Minnesota Reading Corps with the power of relationships at the classroom and individual level to improve the academic outcomes of students in high-poverty schools. AmeriCorps members, called Scholar Coaches, serve alongside a teacher in a K-3 classroom using evidence-based instructional support strategies and providing individual and small group reading interventions to help students grow their reading skills.
The Reading Corps Scholar Coach position was created initially to address the urgency of the achievement gap in North Minneapolis and has since expanded to other communities. Scholar Coaches are embedded in a classroom environment to deliver more intensive and targeted literacy support and also extend the teacher’s capacity to meet individual and class-wide student needs. Scholar Coaches receive additional training on trauma-sensitive approaches to build strong relationships and achieve positive outcomes with their students.
Successful Scholar Coaches have a passion for urban education and have the tenacity to ensure that every child has an opportunity to succeed in school.
Essential qualifications to serve with TLC:
- Strong interest in education, specifically helping students with reading or math skills
- Passion for urban education and closing the achievement gap in Minnesota
- Experience working with students experiencing poverty and/or homelessness
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Dedication to community service
- Organized, responsible, flexible, motivated, and professional
- Ability to accept and incorporate constructive feedback
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
- Not already served 4 or more terms of service previously with AmeriCorps
- Commitment during the regular school calendar year
Members like serving in this program because they:
- Build strong relationships with students and create lasting connections within their community.
- Celebrate student successes as they progress throughout the year.
- Contribute to the cradle to career pipeline.
- Build professional connections and collaborate with like-minded individuals who are passionate about social justice and equity in education.
- Gain valuable reading and math intervention skills.
Applicants interested in a position with TLC should complete an application at www.readingandmath.net by searching for “Scholar Coach.” Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and open in December of each year. Positions begin in August.