Minnesota GreenCorps members serve throughout the state, addressing environmental issues and building community resilience. Members serve at local governments, nonprofit organizations, and educational institutions in the areas of air pollutant reduction, community readiness and outreach, green infrastructure improvements, and waste reduction, recycling, and organics management.
Minnesota GreenCorps members gain skills and experience in the environmental field while strengthening community resilience through activities such as benchmarking and analyzing data, collaborating with community partners, delivering environmental training and education, mobilizing volunteers, and implementing best practices to improve water and air quality and prevent, reduce, and divert waste.
The Minnesota GreenCorps program is coordinated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and aims to protect and preserve Minnesota’s environment while training a new generation of environmental professionals.
Essential qualifications to serve with Minnesota GreenCorps:
- Two year Associates degree or completion of sophomore year in a four year college program required; preferred qualification of a 4 year degree
- Demonstrated interest in the environment, including energy and water conservation, active transportation, urban planning, local foods, recycling, etc.
- Interest in environmental service and community work and commitment to complete the service term
- Ability to work well independently and with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to build and maintain relationships, lead and motivate others
- Ability to take initiative, communicate effectively, manage time, organize information and display a positive and professional demeanor
- Strong desire to learn new skills
- Most positions require driving, a valid driver’s license, and passing a driving record check administered by the MPCA
- Some positions may require the ability to work outdoors in adverse conditions on challenging terrain
Top reasons that members like serving in Minnesota GreenCorps:
- Develop skills and gain experience
- Network in the environmental field
- Engage your community
- Make a positive environmental impact and strengthen communities in a changing climate