Current Size: 100%
Minnesota Reading Corps
Reading by Third Grade is the Gateway to Learning
Right now, nearly one in three third-graders in Minnesota is failing to reach basic levels of literacy. If kids aren’t reading proficiently by third grade, the odds are against them for all future learning. Because of this, our nation is facing an epidemic of academic failure.
By using innovative, evidence-based practices and personalized tutoring, Minnesota Reading Corps has demonstrated proven results to help close Minnesota’s growing achievement gap. Nearly 80 percent of Minnesota Reading Corps participants achieved more than a year’s worth of progress in one year’s time, exceeding state and national averages and dramatically surpassing what would have typically been expected.
Since 2003, Minnesota Reading Corps has grown from serving 250 children to about 30,000 at more than 700 sites statewide. Studies show that by increasing investments in quality early childhood literacy interventions, the whole community can anticipate a return of up to $12 for every $1 invested.
By joining Minnesota Reading Corps, you’ll not only make a difference in children’s lives, but the training and experience you gain will benefit your own career. This is a chance to give back to your community while building valuable career skills and a professional network.
Essential qualifications to participate in the Minnesota Reading Corps:
- Experience working with children and demonstrated commitment to the community
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- 18 years of age or older
- Excellent level of English language
Members like serving in this program because they:
- It is great real life experience in school setting that enhances their resume
- Members earn money for loans or future education
- Members build relationships with children and help them improve their skills
- Members connect to their community and professionals in the education field
- It is a chance to be a part of a successful and research based program
Minnesota Reading Corps is a strategic initiative of ServeMinnesota.